Key questions to ask when choosing a family day care educator
- What hours do you operate and do you close throughout holiday season?
- Will I be able to visit my child or call them at any time?
- Will I be charged fees for public holidays or when my child is not there?
- Can I change the days of care and how much notice is required?
- Do you provide things like nappies and meals or should I bring them from home?
- Who else besides the Family Day Care Educator will be at the approved residence?
- What skills and experience does the educator have?
- What excursions do you undertake and can I look at your risk assessments?
- What ages do you care for?
- How will I be notified if my child is sick or has an accident?
- What are your policies and procedures around sleep and rest, hygiene, medication and sun protection?
- How will I know that my child’s learning and development will be encouraged?
- Has the service been quality rated, and if so, what is the service’s rating?
Assistance to help you with the cost of child care
Department of Human Services Child Care Subsidy
No Jab No Play Rules
Information about early childhood education and care including development milestones, expectations of child care services
ACECQA Starting Blocks